Eligible R&D Activities in the Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Industries
Braithwaite Canada has outlined some eligible R&D activities in the pharmaceutical and medical device industries for companies to become more familiar with when determining their SR&ED projects.
General Pharmaceutical-based R&D activities that may be eligible:
- Development of a drug formulation, or an improved formulation.
- Replacing an API, raw material or preservatives in a formulation.
- Development of a new synthesis route.
- Assay development. Analytical method development.
- Development of cleaning procedures
- Improved personal products incorporating never before combined ingredients
- Sourcing new ingredients to overcome sensitivities and eliminate impurities.
- Development of new processes to scale up production without compromising component stability, repeatability or reproducibility.
- Appreciable improvements to inhibit bacterial growth to extend shelf life
- Overcoming complexities around chemistry, stability, performance and safety to meet legislative requirements
- Development of Smart equipment or software packages to control dosage of drugs / clinical trials at an improved level of accuracy with feedback to medical staff
Areas in the Medical Devices Industry where R&D activities may be eligible:
- Development of an advanced medical device.
- Improve or further improve performance or functionality of a medical device.
- Design and improve design, fabrication and assembly parameters.
- Design and development of prototype moulds.
- Development of tools, jigs and fixtures for the medical device.
- Sourcing, identifying and testing with different materials for the required stiffness, characteristic and flexibility.
- Development of new manufacturing processes for the new medical device.
Expenditures can include wages, third party contractor cost, materials, machinery, equipment, and overheads.
Interested in estimating your R&D credit/refund?
Braithwaite Canada can assist you in obtaining tax credits for scientific research and experimental development activities. Whether your work involves basic research, applied research, or experimental development, Braithwaite can take the uncertainty out of the filing process and get you the credit you deserve for your innovation.
For a detailed evaluation of the pharmaceutical & medical device industries, please contact the professionals at Braithwaite.